Professor in Mechanical EngineeringBScHons(Eng)(Mechanical Engineering) (Moratuwa), MSc (Cranfield), PhD (Cranfield)
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Director /Center for Quality Assurance
Central Campus, 3rd floor, Science and Technology building, Room No : W5
Office: +94112881314, Ext: 314 Mobile: +94776645977, +94740138282
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
N. S. Senanayake graduated in Mechanical Engineering in 1985 from the University of Moratuwa. He joined the Open University of Sri Lanka (OUSL) in 1986 as an Assistant Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering. In 1996, he obtained his PhD from the University of Cranfield, United Kingdom in the area of Food Processing Machine Development. At present N. S. Senanayake works as a Professor in Mechanical Engineering at the OUSL. He is the Director of the Center for Quality Assurance. His current research focused on sustainable use of energy in the manufacturing industries, and sustainable power generation. He is also interested in research in Open Distance Education with special reference to engineering education.Areas of Specialization:
Energy, Applied Thermodynamics, Open and Distance LearningResearch interests:
Renewable Energy, Applied thermodynamics, Open Distance LearningContributions:
Technology Specialist (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning), Technical Education Development Project, Ministry of Vocational and Technical Training, May 2008 – January 2009.Task completed: NVQ Levels 5 and 6 Units of Competencies and Curriculum for the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology area, Training of staff of the Colleges of Technology on preparation of lesson plans.
Chairperson of the sub-committee on Hard Technology Grade 12 of G C E (A/L) for Curriculum Development, National Institute of Education, Sri Lanka, 1998.Task completed: Detailed curriculum was developed for Grade 12 Hard Technology subject.
Chairperson of the sub-committee on Mechanical Technology Grade 12 of G C E (A/L) for Curriculum Development, National Task completed: Institute of Education, Sri Lanka, 1998.Detailed curriculum was developed for Grade 13 Mechanical Technology subject
- Consultant – Curriculum Development (Mechanical), Faculty of Engineering and Technology (propsoed), University Sri Jayawardenapura, 2015.
- Resource person for the workshop Academic Support Staff Training for the staff of the University of Vocational Education. Theme of the lecture: Understand the issues related to academic counseling and how to provide effective counseling.– September 2010.
- Resource person for the workshop for Training for the Academic Staff of the Collages of Technology. Theme of the lecture: Curriculum innovation and part time training. – February 2011.
- Resource person for the Training Program on Uniformity of teaching of NVQ Levels 5 and 6 Program. 29 – 30 August, 2009.
- Secretary, Section C, SLAAS – 2014
- Consultant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Sri Jayewardenepura 2016 – 2019.
Applied Thermodynamics, Strength of materialsAwards:
- Presidential Awards for Research 1999- Certificate of recognition of the authorship of the citation, Journal of Food Engineering, 40: 129 – 137, 1999.
- Annual Reserch Awards, The Open University of Sri Lanka, 2014.
Journal research papers
- Ruchira Abeyweera, Iresha U. Attanayake, U. G. Kithsiri , Nihal S. Senanayake, Torsten H. Fransson (2021). Future Direction of Global Educational Hackathons: A Critical Evaluation Based on Feedbacks of a Global Hackathon on Digital Education – Sri Lanka Perspective. Education 2021, 11(1): 1-10 DOI: 10.5923/j.edu.20211101.01
- Thisara Ganegoda, H. D. N. S. Priyankara, Nihal S. Senanayake (2020). A Method for Rapid Assessment of Soil Phosphorous, Potassium and Organic Matter in Agricultural Lands. International Journal of Control Science and Engineering 2020, 10(2): 31-36 DOI: 10.5923/j.control.20201002.02
- S. S. Hettiarachchi, N. S. Senanayake, H. D. N. S. Priyankara (2020). A Smart Waste Bin for Minimizing Food Waste in Workplace. International Journal of Advanced and Multidisciplinary Engineering Science 2020, 3(1): 16-20 DOI: 10.5923/j.james.20200301.03
- U. G. Kithsiri, N. S. Senanayake, Ruchira Abeyweera (2018). Frequency Control Operation of a Combined Cycle Power Plant and Impact on Heat Recovery Steam Generator – A Case Study, International Journal of Energy Engineering 2018, 8(4): 89-92
- A. J. Abeywardana1, H. M. I. S. Madhuranga, A. S. Perera, I. H. T. D. Lionel, S. Kohombange, A.R. I. W. Indunil, Ruchira Abeyweera, N. S. Senanayke, Gwenaëlle Guillerme (2018). Standalone Energy System for a Remote Fishing Island in Sri Lanka, SLEMA Journal, Sri Lanka Energy Managers Association, 21(1), 6 – 12.
- Jeevan Jayasuriya, Archishman Bose, Kiran Raj Rajan, Ruchira Abeyweera, Janaka Rathnakumara, N.S. Senanayake, Tharanga Wicramarathna (2017). Sustainable Power for Carbon Neutral Operation: A Feasibility Study for Printing Industry in Sri Lanka, SLEMA Journal, Sri Lanka Energy Managers Association, 20(1), 12-19
- P. N. R. J. Amunugoda, N. S. Senanayake, K. D. G. Kulatunga (2017). Solar rack dryer with supplementary heat storage and evaluation of dried food quality, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 7, Issue 7, July 2017.
- Kamal Edirisinghe, Ruchira Abeyweera and Nihal S. Senanayake (2106). Evaluation of Effectiveness of LED Lighting in Buildings, SLEMA Journal, Vol. 19, No. 2, 8-15.
- U. G. Kithsiri, N. S. Senanayake, Ruchira Abeyweera, Jeevan Jayasuriya (2016).A Model for Estimation of De-rating in Diesel Engines used for Power Generation, International Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol.6(2), 36 – 42.
- P. T. S. Peiris , R. P. Vitharanage , Ruchira Abeyweera , N. S. Senanayake and Jeevan Jayasuriya (2016). Feasibility of Utilizing Boiler Blowdown Waste Heat for Operating an Absorption Refrigeration Chiller, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications (IJSRP), Volume 6, Issue 5, May 2016.
- J.A..K.J. Bandara, N.S. Senanayake and Ruchira Abeyweera (2015). A Renewable Energy based Power Supply System for Water Pumping and Lighting in a Rural Village, SLEMA Journal, Vol. 18, No. 1, 1-11.
- J.A.C.K.J. Bandara, Ruchira Abeyweera and N.S. Senanayake (2015). Minimizing Energy Loss by Optimizing Pipe Diameter and Insulation Thickness in Steam Distribution Pipelines, SLEMA Journal, Vol. 18, No. 1, 19-27.
- Malkanthi Thenabadu, Ruchira Abeyweera, Jeevan Jayasuriya and Nihal S. Senanayake (2015). Anaerobic Digestion of Food and Market Waste; Waste characterisation and Bio-methane Potential: A Case study in Sri Lanka, SLEMA Journal, Vol. 18, No. 2, 29-33.
- K. N. Amarawardhana, N. S. Senanayake, Ruchira Abeyweera (2015).Modeling of Energy Utilization of Tourism Industry of Sri Lanka and Prediction of Future Energy Demand, International Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. 5, Issue 5, 87 – 94.
- Daham Shyamalee , A.D.U.S. Amarasinghe , N.S. Senanayake (2015). Evaluation of different binding materials in forming biomass briquettes with saw dust, International Journal of Scientific Research and Publications, Vol. 5, Issue 3, March 2015.
- D. R. Kodituwakku, N. S. Senanayake, Ruchira Abeyweera (2014). Effect of Cooling Charge Air on Gas Turbine Performance and the Feasibility of Using Absorption Refrigeration, Sri Lanka Energy Managers Association Journal 17 (2), 20 – 26
- R. A. K. K. K. Sylva, U. G. Kithsiri, S. Bogahawatta, N. S. Senanayake, Ruchira Abeyweera (2014). Dendro Power Generation in Sri Lanka – Successes, Failures and Policies, Sri Lanka Energy Managers Association Journal 17 (2), 11 – 19
- Priyadarshana Weerasisri, U., Senanayake, N.S., and Ruchira Abeyweera (2014). Analysis of Waste Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) for a Medium Speed Diesel Generator, Sri Lanka Energy Managers Association Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1,
- Senanayake, N. S., Jatunarachchi1, T. S. S. and Kahandagamage, G. A. (2014). Performance and Emissions Analysis of Intercooled Direct Injection Diesel Engines Used for Power Generation during Day and Night Times Operation – A Case Study, International Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. 4 , No. 1, 2014, 16 – 20.
- Priyadarshana, P.G.S., Senanayake, N.S., and Ruchira Abeyweera (2013). Assessment of Energy losses in mini hydro power plants in Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka Energy Managers Association Journal, Vol. 16, No. 2, September 2013, 1 – 5.
- Kahandagamage, G. A., Senanayake, N. S. and Jatunarachchi, T. S. S. (2013). Effect of Charge Air Temperature on Specific Fuel Consumption in Intercooled Direct Injection Diesel Engines used for Power Generation, International Review of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 6, September 2013.
- Gunarathne, D, Jatunarachchi, S S, Senanayake, N. S., Bo Wei (2013). The Effect of Throat Diameter on the Performance of a Downdraft Biomass Gasifier, International Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. 3 , No. 3, 2013, 172 – 175.
- Amunugoda, P. N. R. J., Senanayake, N. S., Wilson Wijeratnam, R. S., Kulatunga, K. D. G. (2013). Quality Enhancement of Dehydrated Products through the Modification of Solar Tunnel Dryer for Continuous Operation in Rural Communities, International Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. , No. 1, January 2013, 7 – 14.
- Dadigamuwa, P. R and Senanayake S A M A N S (2012). Motivating Factors that Affect Enrolment and Student Performance in an ODL Engineering Program. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, Vol. 13, No. 1, March 2012.
- Senanayake, N.S. and Dissanayake, D.M.K.K.(2011). Activated Carbon for Drying Compressed Air for Low Pressure Applications. International Review of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 5, July 2011, 818 – 822.
- Senanayake S A M A N S, Liyanage K N H P and Dadigamuwa P R (2005). Factors Affecting on Student Unsuccessfulness in Engineering Programmes in Distance Education. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, Vol. 2, No.6, June 2005.
- Senanayake S A M A N S (2002). Pin Transducer for General Force Measurement in Agricultural Tractors. Journal of Scientific and Technical Studies, Vol. 6, No.1, Nepal Engineering Collage, Nepal.
- Senanayake S A M A N S and Clarke B (1999). A simplified twin screw co-rotating food extruder: Design, fabrication and testing. Journal of Food Engineering, 40(1999), 129 – 137, Elsevier.
- Senanayake S A M A N S (1997). Food extrusion technology. Engineer: Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka, vol.xxv, June 1997.
- Bandara, E. M. I. D., Fernando, T. N., Senanayake, S.A.M.A.N.S. (2021). Design and Development of a Paddy Transplanting Machine for Small-scale Farmers. In: Proceedings of National Engineering Research Symposium 2021 (NERS 2021) pp 25-32.
- R. Abeyweera, G. Guillerme, N. S. Senanayake, A. P. T. S. Peiris, J. Jayasuriya and T. H. Fransson (2019). “Dissemination of Knowledge and Sharing Experiences in Emerging Issues through a Remote Summer School,” 2019 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), 2019, pp. 152-159, doi: 10.1109/EDUCON.2019.8725131.
- Ruchira Abeyweera, Nihal S Senanayake, Jeevan Jayasuriya, Torsten H Fransson (2018).A remote mode high quality international master degree program in environomical pathways for sustainable energy systems (SELECT)-pilot program experiences during first year of studies, Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), 2018 IEEE
- Torsten H. Fransson, Udalamattha Gamage Kithsiri, Amagaha Pathirage Thaushka Sandaruwan Peiris, Tharanga Wickramarathna, Kumudu Amarawardhana, Ruchira Abeyweera, Nihal S. Senanayake, Jeevan Jayasuriya (2017). A Remote Mode Master Degree Program in Sustainable Energy Engineering: Student Perception and Future Direction, International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning, ICL 2017: Teaching and Learning in a Digital World, Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Ruchira Abeyweera, Nihal S Senanayake, Chamindie Senaratne, Jeevan Jayasuriya, Torsten H Fransson (2017).Capacity building through a web based master degree programme in sustainable energy engineering,Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), 2017 IEEE
- L. Madaluwage, D. M. Prasad, N. S. Senanayake and T. S. S. Jatunarachchi, (2015). Technical feasibility of operating Organic Rankine Cycle with waste heat, In Proceedings of the 71st Annual Sessions, SLAAS 2015, Sri Lanka.
- Amunugoda, P. N. R. J. ,Silva, A. M. C. U., Wijeratnam, R. S. W., Kulatunga, K. D. G., Senanayake, N. S., and Prasantha, B. D. R. (2014). Solar Dehydration of Whole Mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) using Modified Solar Tunnel Dryer, SLCARP International Agricultural Research Symposium 2014, Sri Lanka Council for Agricultural Research Policy, 11 – 12 August, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- De Silva, K. B. S., Senanayake, N. S. and Jatunarachchi, T. S. S. (2013). Cooling effect caused by magneto-caloric materials, In Proceedings of the 69th Annual Sessions, SLAAS 2013, Sri Lanka.
- Amunugoda, P. N. R. J, Senanayake, N. S. and Kulatunga, K. D. G (2013). Performance evaluation of a solar rack dryer equipped with supplementary heat storage, In Proceedings of the 69th Annual Sessions, SLAAS, 4 – 5 December, 2013, Sri Lanka.
- Amunugoda, P. N. R. J, Wijeratnam, R.S.W. Senanayake, N. S. and Kulatunga, K. D. G (2013). Evaluation of solar tunnel dryer developed by University of Hohenheim under Sri Lankan environmental conditions, In Proceedings of the 69th Annual Sessions, SLAAS, 4 – 5 December, 2013, Sri Lanka.
- Somasundara, D. H.G.S.R., Abeywardana, A. M. A. J., Senanayake, N.S. and Atthanayake, I. U. (2013). Problems associated with mini hydro power plants for successful operation – a case study in Sri Lanka, In: Abstracts, Second Sri Lankan Round Table on Sustainable Consumption and Production, Organized by the National Cleaner Production Center, 21- 22 February, 2013, Galadari hotel, Sri Lanka.
- Amunugoda, P. N. R. J, Wijeratnam, Senanayake S. A. M. A. N. S.,and Kulatunga, K. D. G. (2011). Solar Energy- based Drying Technology for Perishable Commodities in Sri Lanka, In: YSF Symposium 2011, Hector Kobbekaduwa Agrarian Research Institute, Sri Lanka.
- Sudasinghe, M. J., Jatunarachchi, and Senanayake, N. S. (2011). Implementation problems in waste management through an anaerobic digestion process: a case study at the Open University of Sri Lanka. In Proceedings of the 67th Annual Sessions, SLAAS, 5 – 9 December, 2011, Sri Lanka.
- Senanayake, N. S., Jatunarachchi, T.S.S, and Pathiraja, Y. (2011). Situation Analysis in the Construction and Operation of Biogas Plant: a Case Study at the Open university of Sri Lanka. In: The International Conference & Utility Exhibition 2011 on Power and Energy Systems: Issues and Prospects for Asia (ICUE2011), 28 – 30 September 2011, Pattaya City, Thailand.
Recovery of Steam Condensates of a Soft Drink Processing Plant
Feasibility of using organic Rankine cycle for generation of energy with waste heat