Professor Gaya R Ranawaka
B.Sc. (Colombo), D.I.C. Parasitology (Imperial College, London), Ph.D. (London)
Department of Zoology
Department of Zoology, Ground Floor, Science and Technology Building, Room No :007 : W5
Tel : 0112811455 / 575 (455)
E-Mail : email@example.com
Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences, The Open University of Sri Lanka (July 2015 – to-date)
Senior Professor in Zoology, The Open University of Sri Lanka (February 2018 – to-date)
Professor in Zoology, The Open University of Sri Lanka (February 2010 – February 2018)
Dean, Faculty of Natural Sciences, The Open University of Sri Lanka (January 2010 – September 2012)
Head, Dept. of Zoology, The Open University of Sri Lanka (June 2005 – May 2008)
Senior Lecturer in Zoology: Dept. of Zoology, The Open University of Sri Lanka (September 1993– February 2010)
BSc Degree Programme
- ZYU5304 Parasitology
- ZYU5305 Human Biology
MSc in Medical Entomology & Applied Parasitology
- ZYP8302 Human Parasites
Area of Specialization Parasitology
Research Interests Cellular, immunological and molecular aspects of parasites, DNA Barcoding, Molecular phylogenetics
K. Goonesekera, P.L.M. Lee, G. van der Poorten and G. R. Ranawaka (2019). The phylogenetic history of the Old World butterfly subtribe Mycalesina extended: the Mycalesis of Sri Lanka (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae) of Sri Lanka. Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology, 22, 121-133
K. Goonesekera, G. van der Poorten and Gaya. R. Ranawaka (2018). Morphometry as a tool in species identification: a study with special reference to species of the genus Mycalesis (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Journal of the National Science Foundation Sri Lanka; 46 (3): 311 – 328. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4038/jnsfsr.v46i3.8484
B G Jayatilleke, G R Ranawaka, G. G. W. C. Wijesekara and M C B Kumarasinha (2018). Asian Association of Open Universities Journal; https://doi.org/10.1108/AAOUJ-02-2018-0013
A. G. Gayan Dharmasiri , A. Yashan Perera, Jeevanie Harishchandra, Hemantha Herath, Kandasamy Aravindan, H. T. R. Jayasooriya, Gaya R. Ranawaka and Mihirini Hewavitharane (2017). First record of Anopheles stephensi in Sri Lanka: a potential challenge for prevention of malaria reintroduction-case report. Malaria Journal, 16:326; DOI 10.1186/s12936-017-1977-7
H. M. P. Hewavitharane, G. R. Ranawaka, M. D. J. S. Saparamadu, R. G. Premaratne and H. T. R. Jayasooriya (2017). Prevalence and bionomics of Anopheles species in a gem mining area in Moneragala District of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 15th Open University Research Sessions, p 425-428.
B. G. Jayatilleke, G. G. W. C. Wijesekara and G. R. Ranawaka (2017). Access and Use of Electronic Technologies By Undergraduates of the Faculty of Health Sciences. Proceedings of the 15th Open University Research Sessions, p 5-9.
R. Dushanan, G.R. Ranawaka, S. Weerasinghe and R. Senthilnithy (2017). Computational studies on inhibition of histone deacetylation by hydroxamic acid derivatives: an in-silico approach. Proceedings of the 15th Open University Research Sessions, p 461-464.
B G Jayatilleke, G R Ranawaka, G. G. W. C. Wijesekara and M C B Kumarasinha (2017). Development and Testing of a Mobile Application through Design-Based Research. 31st Annual Conference of the Asian Association of Open Universities. 27 – 29 September 2017, Royal Ambarrukmo Hotel Yogyakarta, Indonesia, pg 49– won the AAOU best practice Silver Award.
K. Goonesekera, G.van der Poorten and G.R. Ranawaka (2017). Evolution and Adaptation: A Butterfly. Proceedings of SLAYS open forum 2017; 28th Feb to 1st March, Colombo
HMP Hewavitharane, MDJS Saparamadu, RG Premaratne, GR Ranawaka and HTR Jayasooriya (2016). Receptivity for malaria transmission in a highly vulnerable district: A potential challenge for prevention of reintroduction efforts in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, Sri Lanka, 5−9 December 2016, p4
K.M.K.J. Perera, H.T.R. Jayasooriya & G.R. Ranawaka (2015). Alternate sources of DNA for molecular identification of Aedes aegypti. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions, The OUSL, 2015, p 57.
M. R.Halliday, R. J Illeperuma, H. T. Jayasooriya & G.R. Ranawaka. (2015). Evaluation of using human blood fed mosquitoes as forensic DNA evidence in crime investigation. Medico-Legal Society of Sri Lanka Annual Scientific Sessions 2015, Sri Lanka Foundation, Colombo, p 45
K.S. Goonesekera, G. van der Poorten, P.L.M. Lee, & G.R Ranawaka (2015). DNA barcoding reveals a possible cryptic species complex of Mycalesis mineus: a case study from Sri Lanka. International Barcode of Life Conference August 18-21, University of Guelph, Canada, Conference abstracts 2015. Genome, vol. 58 p222
KS Goonesekera & GR Ranawaka (2015). DNA barcoding of the genus Pelopidas butterflies in Sri Lanka – WildLanka Symposium 2015-Proceedings of the Annual Session 2015, p12
KS Goonesekera, G van der Poorten & GR Ranawaka (2014). Discriminant analysis of morphometric characters of four species of Mycalesis in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the International Bioscience Conference and the 5th Joint International PSU-UNS Bioscience Conference 2014, Phuket, Thailand, p81
KS Goonesekera, G van der Poorten & GR Ranawaka (2014). Phenotypic variation in Mycalesis perseus butterfly populations in different climatic zones of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions, The OUSL, 2014, p451
K.S. Goonesekera, G. Van der Poorten and G.R. Ranawaka (2013). Morphometric characterisation of the genus Mycalesis butterflies in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions OUSL, 2013, p451
K.S. Goonesekera and G.R. Ranawaka (2013). Genetic variation in Mycalesis from Sri Lanka based on analysis of the mitochondrial DNA COI gene (2013). Proceedings of the 69th Annual Session of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, p 78
N.N. Sooriya Arachchi, R.J. Illeperuma, H.T.R. Jayasooriya and G.R. Ranawaka (2013). Genetic characterisation of DNA barcode region of Aedes vectors in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of 33rd Annual Sessions of the Institute of Biology, p 24.
Messer WB, Kanakaratne N, Thevanesam V, Ranawaka G, Shahani A, de Silva AM, Gunasekera M . (2012). Clinical features of hospitalized dengue patients in Sri Lanka from 2004 to 2006, Sri Lanka Journal of Infectious Diseases, Vol.1(2); 9-18.
Kanakaratne N, Ranawaka G, Thevanesam V, de Silva A (2012). Severe dengue disease that is not explained by antibody enhancement or serotypic and genotypic differences in causative viruses. Medical Research institute Scientific sessions 2012, Colombo, 23rd November 2012
A. Fernando, S. Samaradivakara, D. De Silva, G. Baranage, I. Herath, N. Fernandopulle, K. Padmalal, G. Ranawaka (2009). DNA Barcoding of the Sri Lankan Slender Loris (Loris tardigradus or Loris lydekkerianus?) – a preliminary report. Proceedings of the 14th International Forestry and Environment Symposium 2009, p74
W. Chathumal, D. Markalanda, R. Illeperuma, N. Fernandopulle, G. Ranawaka (2009). Genetic diversity of Sri Lankans with respect to the human DNA typing STR markers, D3S1358, D5S818 AND D8S1179. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions OUSL, 2009, p63
BG Jayatilleke, VD Dasanayake, GR Ranawaka (2009). Tracer study of Science graduates. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions OUSL. P66.
Kuruppu, A & Ranawaka, G. (2008). Prevalence and intensity of infection of trematode cercarial infections in the snail host at a selected study site in the OUSL premises. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions OUSL (2008), pp 89.
R Careem, G. Ranawaka, V. de Silva and J Alahakone. Molecular sexing of birds in the National Zoological gardens Dehiwela. . Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions OUSL (2007), p68.
Bandarage G., Iqbal S.S., Jayakody L.K.R.R., Liyanage L.S.G., Ramasinghe W. & Ranawaka G R (2007) Credit Conversion Scheme for the B.Sc Degree Programmes Offered through Distance and Face To Face Teaching Methods in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Annual Academic Sessions OUSL, p4
Ranawaka, G., Perera, N, Seneviratne D, Baranage G, Gamage P Gunasekera, M (2005). Dengue virus serotypes circulating in Colombo during 2004. Proceedings of the OUSL silver jubilee Academic sessions, p24
Baranage, G., Senevirathne, D, Gamage, P., Ranawaka, G., Perera, N., Illeperuma, R., Ruberu, D., Shahani A., Gunasekera, M. (2004). Screening of febrile cases for early diagnosis of dengue and identification of dengue virus type using in-house diagnostic kits based on Polymerase Chain Reaction. The Bulletin of the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists, volume 2, issue1, pg 14.
Ranawaka, G., Gamage, P., De Silva, V., Fernando, A., Seneviratne, D., Gunasekera, M. (2003). Evaluation of a Polymerase chain Reaction (PCR) – agarose gel electrophoresis assay with a PCR-Hybridisation assay for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Proceedings of the 59th Annual Session of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, p22.
Dessens,J.T., Medonza, J., Claudianos, C., Vinetz, J.M., Khater, E., Hassard, S., Ranawaka, G.., Sinden, R.E. (2001). Knockout of the rodent malaria parasite chitinase PbCHT1 reduces infectivity to mosquitoes. Infection and Immunity, 69 (6) 4041-4047.
Lekamge, L., Ranawaka G., Gunaratne, R., & Jayanada, R (1999). Student satisfaction with OUSL support services. OUSL Journal, Volume 2, 80.
Amaratunga, C. & Ranawaka, G. (1997). Endoparasites in faecal matter of the Sri Lankan elephant (Elephas maximus maximus). Proceedings of the 53rd Annual Session of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, p22
Ranawaka, G., Fleck, S., Alejo-Blanco, R. & Sinden, R.E (1994). Characterization of modes of action of anti-Pbs21 malaria transmission blocking immunity: ookinte to oocyst differentiation in vivo. Parasitology, 109, 403-411.
Ranawaka, G., Alejo-Blanco, R. & Sinden, R.E (1994). Characterization of the effector mechanisms of a transmission blocking antibody upon differentiation of P. beghei gametocytes into ookinetes in vitro. Parasitology, 109, 11-17.
Ranawaka, G., Alejo-Blanco, R. & Sinden, R.E (1993). The effect of transmission blocking antibody ingested in primary and secondary bloodfeeds, upon the development of P berghei in the mosquito vector. Parasitology, 107, 225-231.
Sinden, R, Couchman, A., Suhrbier, A, Marsh, F., Winger, L. & Ranawaka, G. (1991). The development of exo-erythrocytic schizonts of P berghei in vitro from gamma irradiated and non-irradiated sporozoites: a study using confocal laser scanning microscopy. Parasitology, 103, 17-21.
PhD, MSc and BSc projects:
- Intra- and inter-specific genetic variation of Sri Lankan butterfly genera Mycalesis and Pelopidas
- DNA barcoding of Aedes mosquito vectors of Sri Lanka
- Severity of dengue disease and the role of different serotypes and genotypes of the causative dengue viruses
- Development and characterisation of monoclonal antibodies against Wuchereria bancrofti.
- Population study of selected Tandem Repeat polymorphisms of Sri Lankans
- Molecular sexing of birds in the National Zoological gardens, Dehiwela
- Studies on cercarial infections in snail species along the Diyawanna canal at OUSL premises
- Ectoparasites of selected freshwater ornamental fish in commercial aquaria within the Greater Colombo area
- Efficacy of commercially available acaricides on the development of the cattle tick, Boophillus annulatus
- Endoparasites in faecal matter of the Sri Lankan elephant
- Ectoparasite infestations of dogs and efficacy of their controlling methods
- Survey of faecal parasites of humans living in urban and rural areas
- Framework for Quality Assurance of Open Distance Learning (ODL) Institutions (2006) – co-author
- Manual for Self Evaluation of ODL Institutions (2006) – co-author
- Introduction to host-parasite interactions (2013) ISBN 978-955-23-1367-7 – author
- Lumen dwelling parasites of human (2013) ISBN 978-955-23-1379-0- author
- Blood and tissue parasites of human (2013) ISBN 978-955-23-1380-6- author
- Basic patterns of biogeography (2009) ISBN 978-955-23-1061-4- author
- Fundamental processes and historical impacts on biogeography (2009) ISBN978-955-1062-1- author
- Biogeography of islands and humanity (2009) ISBN 978-955-23-1063-8- author
- Controlling the internal environment (2005) 955-23-1002- author
- Learning the fundamental principles and concepts of parasitism(1999)ISBN 955-23-07430- author
- Learning about parasitic protozoans (1999) ISBN 955-23-0744-9 – author
- Learning about parasitic flatworms (1999) ISBN 955-23-0745-7 – author
- Learning about parasitic roundworms (1999) ISBN 955-23-0746-5 – author
- Learning about parasitic arthropods (1999) ISBN 955-23-0747-3 – author
- Detecting parasites in the laboratory (1999) ISBN 955-23-0748-1 – author
- Human against disease (1999) ISBN 955-23-0859-3 – author
- Limbless protostomes and joint legged protostomes (2003) ISBN 955-23-0927-1 – co-author
- Early deuterostomes and ectothermic vertebrates (2003) ISBN 955-23-0929-8 – co-author
- Animal organisation, nutrition and energy generation (2005) 955-23-1002-4 – editor
- Gaseous exchange and transport (2005) 955-23-1003-2 – editor
- Coordination, movement and continuation of life (2005) 955-23-1004-0 – editor
- Human identity ISBN 955-23-0854-2- editor
- Support and movement ISBN 955-23-0855-0- editor
- Processing and transporting ISBN 955-23-0856-9- editor
- Integration and coordination ISBN 955-23-0857-7- editor
- Human continuity ISBN 955-23-0858-5- editor
- Analysis of development & recent advances in development biology (2005) 955-23-107-5 – co-editor