(Effective from Academic Year 2014/15)
Mahapola Scholarships are awarded by the Mahapola Higher Education Scholarship Trust Fund to the value of Rs. 8,000/- each towards the payment of tuition fees of courses. The scholarship payments will be made in two installments. The second installment will be paid only if the conduct and academic performance of the student are satisfactory. Mahapola Scholarship shall be awarded only once to a student. A student who has been awarded a University Bursary can be considered for the Mahapola Scholarship only in another academic year. That is, a student shall not hold both the awards simultaneously. Students shall be selected based on an application made by them on the basis of Merit and Need.
Eligibility Criteria for Award of Mahapola Scholarship
- Student should have been registered for courses at Level four or above in an undergraduate programme
- Student should not be employed or engaged in any other higher educational study
- Student should not have exceeded the age of 30 years on the date of selection
- Student should have sat and attained a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 in the final examinations of courses adding up to a total of at least 18 credits at the particular Level in the previous year.
- Only courses considered for the final award of the programme will be taken for the calculation of GPA for the scholarship.
- Parental income ceiling should be equal to or less than Rs, 300,000/-, with the relevant concessions per annum added to the income ceiling, as specified by the U.G.C.
- (Current concessions applicable: Rs. 24,000/- per annum per school going sister/brother who is 18 years or under, up to a maximum of three children and Rs. 36,000/- concession per annum per sister/brother following a course in a university but not in receipt of a Mahapola scholarship or a Bursary)
- Students will be required to provide a letter from a Grama Sevaka to certify the annual parental income.
- No disciplinary action should have been taken against the student.
The university from time to time may make necessary amendments to the criteria while abiding by the guidelines proposed in this document.
An approved number of Mahapola Scholarships will be awarded annually to students in the order of merit from among those eligible.