Bachelor of Industrial Studies Programme is especially designed and offered by the Faculty of Engineering Technology for those who are engaged in a particular industry or intend to join the industry. The entry qualification for this programme is three passes at the G.C.E. (A/L) examination – local or equivalent. The A/L subjects required vary with the specialization (read Admission for more details). The minimum duration of the programme is four (04) academic years. Those who have higher qualifications can obtain exemptions from certain courses and could complete the degree in less than four years (read Further Details for more information). The programme offers specialization in Agriculture, Apparel Production and Management, Fashion Design and Product Development and Textile Manufacture.
This study programme has been designed to include all aspects of necessary engineering and industrial needs by specifying a minimum number of credits for different course categories of Engineering, Industrial Projects, Mathematics, General Management, English Language and Computer Literacy. All engineering and industrial category courses are supported by relevant laboratory classes, mostly conducted at the central campus in Nawala, while some facilities for lower level courses are provided at the Regional Centers. The core (compulsory) courses vary according to the field of specialization, and other courses are to be chosen from a list of courses to meet the credit requirement for an award. Minimum and maximum category-wise and level-wise credit requirements for Bachelor of Industrial Studies degree are given in the credit requirement table (see under Further Details). In addition to course credits, the students need to undergo industrial training for 30 weeks in a recognized organization.
• Obtained three (03) passes in any stream, at the G.C.E.(A/L) Examination in one sitting, or
• Completed the Advanced Certificate in Apparel Technology Offered by the OUSL, or
• Completed all courses of any Foundation Programme offered by teh OUSL, or
• Obtained a minimum three (3) credit (C) passes in any 3 subjects in Cambridge International / Edexcel Advanced Level Examination within three years, or
• Completed the Certificate in Industrial Studies in Apparel Technology offered by the OUSL, or
• Completed the Advanced Certificate in Industrial Studies in Apparel Technology offered by the OUSL, or
• Obtained the Advanced Certificate in Science with courses from any three (3) disciplines offered by the OUSL, or
• Secured an equivalent or higher qualification acceptable to the Senate.