Postgraduate Diploma in Special Needs Education

The Department of Special Needs Education of the Faculty of Education offers this fifteen-month programme. The medium of instruction will be determined on the basis of the student number in each medium. The target group is graduate teachers who are interested in Special Needs Education. This programme has been accepted by the Ministry of Education as equivalent to the Post-graduate Diploma in Education offered by the OUSL and any other Post-graduate Diplomas offered by any other conventional university.

Specific Objectives:

To enable participants to perform effectively as teachers by –

  • Enhancing knowledge and understanding related to Inclusive Education
  • Becoming familiar with accepted theories and practices in Special Needs Education
  • Developing positive attitudes in working with children who have special needs
  • Developing skills needed through practical work in special needs education
  • Sensitizing to current issues related to the specific needs of individuals and groups placed in special circumstances
  • Strengthening capability in interacting with parents of children with special needs

The specific aims of this programme are to offer a Postgraduate Diploma in Special Needs Education which would deal comprehensively with all aspects of special needs education, to develop professional knowledge, attitudes and skills of teachers.

Student Handbooks

English                          Sinhala                              Tamil

Programme Code :
PP
Programme Category :
Post Graduate Diploma Programme
Conducted by :
Dept. of Special Needs, Faculty of Education
Programme Duration :
Minimum This is a 15 months programme
Discipline(s) / Course(s) :
Education

• Should hold a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university or any other equivalent qualification acceptable to the OUSL Senate

AND

• Should be a Teacher or a Principal of a recognized school or an In-service Teacher Advisor or a Teacher Educator or an Officer in the Sri Lanka Educational Administrative Service, or
• A full-time Lecturer (University, College of Education, Technical Colleges, National Institute of Education and Teacher Training Colleges) or a Government Teacher Center Manager or any other Officer in the field of Special Needs Education.

Submission of Online Applications:
 12th June 2022
Closing Date for Applications :
 Closed
Programme commencing date :

Local Students

Application Fee   : Rs. 800.00

Registration fee   :  Rs. 1,500.00
Facilities fee         :  Rs. 2,500.00
Library fee            :  Rs. 200.00
Tuition fee            :  Rs. 74,160.00
Practical fee for teaching practice    :  Rs.  7,000.00
Fees for the whole programme         :  Rs.  85,360.00

Student fees should be paid in two installments. At the registration 60% of the total fee should be paid and during the programme the remaining 40% should be paid.

 

Overseas Students
Tuition Fee : US$ 3,720*
 *: In addition to the above fee, are fundable deposit of US$ 1000 will be charged from the foreign students before the registration.  

This Post Graduate Diploma programme is conducted by the Department of Special Needs, Faculty of Education.
For more details contact the coordinators, Ms.H.D.C Priyadharshani.

Address :
Head/Department of Special Needs Education, Faculty of Education, The Open University of Sril Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
Contact :
011 288 1492
Email :

Add a Comment

The Open University of Sri Lanka
Apply Online