General Inquiries: (+94) 011 2881 000 Exams/Certificates: (+94) 11-2881461 | (+94) 11-2881040 Regional Educational Services: Click Here
Master of Science in Environmental Science
The Master of Science in Environmental Sciences [MSc in Env. Sc.] is a programme of study developed in recognition of the importance of environmental concerns in today’s world.The programme aims to provide academic knowledge and training needed to tackle environmental problems through a multi-disciplinary approach. The MSc (Env.Sci) programme involves courses from four faculties (Natural Sciences, Engineering Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences & Education) of the OUSL. This represents the multi -disciplinary nature of the programme. It is a 60 credit programme, made up of 30 credits at Level 9 and 30 credits at Level 10 (credit rating is the expression used in the OUSL to denote the “academic value” of a course).
1. Environmental Law (LLP9501)
2. Environmental Economics and Management (DSP9502)
3. Environmental Pollution (BYP9503)
4. Environment, Society and Development (MHP9504)
5. Understanding the Environment (ZYP9505)
6. Environmental Policy Planning and Assessment (ZYP9506)
Research Project (ZYPAF01) + Three Elective Courses
1. Biodiversity Conservation and Management (ZYPA602)
2. Protected Area Planning and Management (ZYPA303)
3. Climate Change (ZYPA604)
4. Environmental Communication and Education (STPA305)
5. Aquatic Resources and their Management (ZYPA606)
6. Philosophy of Science (MHPA307)
7. Cleaner Production (PHPA309)
8. Eco-toxicology and Pollution Management (CYPA610)
9. Environmental Geology and Health (PHPA311)
10. Waste Management and Resource Recovery (NEPA308)
If students do not request printed course materials, a discount of Rs. 340.00 per credit will be given
Overseas Students Developed countries – US $ 165 (per credit) ( Tuition Fee : US$ 9,900* )
Developing countries – US $ 82.50 (per credit) ( Tuition Fee : US$ 4,950*)
fees can be paid in installments(4)
*: In addition to the above fee, are fundable deposit of US$ 1000 will be charged from the foreign students before the registration.
Those who fail in examination are required to re-registration and to pay for courses which they have repeated
This Post Graduate Degree programme is conducted by Centre for Environmental Studies & Sustainable Development (CESSD).Contact CESSD office (011 2 881 423) and General Inquiry(070 6993134) for further details.
Director, Centre for Environmental Studies & Sustainable Development, The Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala.