Nalin Abeysekera (Professor in Management Studies) attached to Department of Management Studies, Open University of Sri Lanka is a graduate from University of Sri Jayewardenepura in B.Sc. Marketing (special) .He is a Product of Ananda College. Professor Abeysekera is a Chartered Marketer and Member of Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing and consultant with over fifteen years’ experience . He is a Senior Lecturer for Strategic Management ,Marketing and Research Methodology with lecturing Exposure in Dubai, Oman and Qatar. He is serving as visiting lecturer for MBA for leading National and International al Universities based in Sri Lanka. Currently he is a coordinator for MBA program at Open University of Sri Lanka. In 2012 Professor Abeysekera has been nominated as Best Asian Researcher- Finalist by Philippine Association of Institutions for Research, Philippine.P professor Nalin Abeysekera is author/co-author and reviewer for many international journal articles, conference papers, Books. He is recipient of three gold medals(Strategic Management, Marketing Management and Dissertation)for his performance in his degree of Masters from University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. He completed his PhD in year 2013 in Leadership and Marketing . Professor Abeysekera in his attempt to socialize knowledge has contributed many articles to leading magazines and national newspapers in Sri Lanka on current issues covering Economics, Education and Tourism. He is serving as supervisor for PhD Students in Management and Marketing. Professor Abeysekera has been featured extensively in TV programs to lead and moderate discussions related to Education, issues on Children and Entrepreneurship. He has also served many panels such as PhD colloquium, Media and IT and Tourism.
Areas of Specialization:
Marketing ,Strategy and Research Methodology
Relationship marketing, Leadership,CSR
Member of Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK)
Member of Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing (SLIM)
Member of Canadian Institute of Marketing
Fellow Member Sri Lanka Institute of Entrepreneurship (SLIE)
Member of Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka
Member of Association of Accounting Technicians in Sri Lanka (MAAT)
Communities and Industry Engagement
– Corporate Responsibility Programs(CSR) with MBA
I have initiated and empowered students in CEMBA program at Open University of Sri Lanka in order to conduct following CSR activities
Cancer Hospital, Maharagama (CEMBA)
Udagama Primary School, Padukka (CEMBA)
Eye cataracts campaign (CEMBA)
Mehtsevana Detention center –NugegodaCSR (CEMBA)
Ragama Ranaviru Sevana (MBA –HRM)
Pandadura Seevali Vidyalaya-on going (CEMBA)
– Commissioned Reports for National/International Bodies
Sri Lanka Tourism Investment Book
Corporate plan for Sri Lanka Tourism
– Resource Person for Sri Lanka Air force, Sri Lanka Army in Leadership and Management
– International Advisory Board of The International Institute of Knowledge Management (TIIKM) –from 2014
– Liaison for Sri Lanka for the International Higher Education, Teaching and Learning Association(HETL), New York, USA , From 2015
– Contributed to increase the level of Marketing strategies(with awareness) on Census and Statistics Department of Sri Lanka, 2015
– Contributed for Sirasa (Sri Lankan Leading television Channel-Sinhala-four programs consist of Entrepreneurship, Creative Economy, Savings and Waste Management) on “Sirasalindaya” program –which is targeting educating General Public -2017
– Resource Person for leading companies in Sri Lanka in Strategy, Marketing and Leadership
– Motivational Session for Sri Lanka Army Hokey Team- Kothalawala Defence University
– Organized an event with Lyrics writer Rantha Sri Wijesinghe on “Open Day 2015” 11th December 2015 -1.00 to 4.00 PM – Kalamanakaranayata Wiramayak-(pause in Management) -–One of the best with the combination of songs by developing a socially responsible manager with emotional intelligence
– Secretary , Open University Teachers Association , 2008/2009
Coordinator Commonwealth MBA (from 2013 )
Marketing Management ,Strategic Management (MBA ,BMS and ESBM)
Best Asian Researcher- Finalist, Philippine association of institutions for research, Philippine (2011), Philippine
Shortlisted as Best Reviewer by International Journal in Contemporary Management Research (CMR)-B Graded Journal by ERA(Excellence in Research in Australia ), 2010
Won Three (03) Gold medals for Research Thesis (Impact of transformational leadership behavior of salesperson of their customers Relationship Marketing Behavior), Strategic Management and Marketing Management in Convocation of MBA, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2008
Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing(SLIM) has awarded for the best achievement for online students-2009
Best Paper-International Conference in Business Management Kotalawala Defense University(KDU), Sri Lanka, 2016
Awarded the merit Scholarship by Government of Sri Lanka for the best performance in the country at the General Certificate of Examination (Advance Level: 1994) for 4 years to study B.Sc. Marketing Management (hon.) special Degree Program at the premier and leading Management School: Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
Recent Publications in Peer-Reviewed and Ranked Journals
1) Abeysekera, N. and Wickramasinghe, A. (2011) Self-checkout at banks: So why salesperson-A case of Sri Lankan banking sector, International Business Management. 5(5), 398-403
2) Abeysekera, N. and Jayakody, J.A.S.K. (2011) Relationship marketing perspective on salespersons’ transformational leadership behavior effect, Contemporary Management Research (CMR). 7(2) ,143-156
3) Abeysekera N. and Wickramasinghe, A. (2012) Transforming nobody to somebody: Do transformational leadership and relationship marketing make a difference for sustainable marketing, International Journal of Trade and Global Markets. 5(1), 31-42
4) Abeysekera,N. and Kumaratheepan, V. (2012) Customer relationship marketing as a strategy for better banking relationship : A comparative study of state bank and private bank, International Journal of Marketing and Technology
5) Abeysekera, N. and Wickramasinghe, A. (2012) How is your boss? impact of transformational leadership behavior of manager on customers’ selling orientation: Special reference to corporate banking sector in Sri Lanka, European Journal of Business and Management. 4(16), 137-140
6) Abeysekera, N,Chadrasekar K,S ,Hewawasam B,(2012) Relationship between Marketing & Buddhism: An analysis of eightfold path, Srusti Management Review. 113-116
7) Abeysekera, N. and Wickramasinghe, A. (2013) Relationship marketing and customer orientation of sales people: Learning from banks, International Journal of Financial Services Management (IJFSM). 6(1), 79-91.
8) Abeysekera, N (2013),A Model of Trust-Commitment for the Ethnic Harmony of Sri Lanka, Journal of Applied Research in Business and Economics, 1 (2) Pages: 63- 7
9) Abeysekera,N. and Umakanth, N. (2014) The impact of relationship marketing practice on customer loyalty (specific reference to local commercial banking sector in Jaffna district), International Journal of Marketing and Technology. 4(3), 160-174,
10) Quah, A. Gaphar J.and Abeysekera N (2014) The use of social media for private higher education to high school students in Sri Lanka, New Media and Mass Communication. 27,80-95
11) Shynaka, A. Abeysekera N. and Rajapakshe P.(2014) The impact of leadership on organizational performance with specific reference to multinational companies in Sri Lanka, International Journal of Physical and Social Sciences. 4(7), 382-404
12) Abeysekera, N. and Wickramasinghe, A. (2014) Measuring the mediating effect of customer trust – A case of corporate banking sector, Corporate Ownership and Control. 11(04), 463-468.
13) Eranda,N. and Abeysekera, N. (2015) Strategic corporate social responsibility through redefining the firm’s value chain, International Journal of Business and Social Research. 5(6), 23-32.
14) Samarasinghe, D. ,Wickramasnghe A,Gamage H and Abeysekera N. (2015) Green Intrapreneurial Flexibility towards Sustaining Competitive Advantage ,A case of south Asian context, Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review. 11(3), 132-141.
15) Thilakarane, C. and Abeysekera, N. (2016) Influencing factors for customer satisfaction of mobile money services, with special reference to mcash service by Mobitel, Sri Lanka, ELK Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Retail Management. 7(2), 1-18.
16) Jayathilake, N.,Abeysekera, N and Ukwatte J.(2016) Factors affecting for customer loyalty in Sri Lankan banking sector, International Journal of Marketing and Technology. 6(4), 148-167
17) Quah, A. Gaphar J.and Abeysekera,N (2015) Facebook marketing by private design schools in the higher education industry in Sri Lanka, Asian Journal of Social Sciences and Management Studies. 2(3), 116-124
18) Eranda N,Abeysekera,N(2015),Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives in Global Apparel Value chain and their influence on Sri Lankan Apprarel Suppliers, Colombo Journal of Mulnidiciplianry research, Vol 2, No 2
19) Eranda, N. and Abeysekera, N. (2016) Strategic corporate social responsibility creates social value in local Sri Lankan dairy industry: A case study of Lucky Lanka, International Journal of Business and Management Invention. 5(8), 1-11.
20) Rajmohan, R. and Abeysekera, N. (2016) Impact of the quality of university education on labour market in Sri Lanka, International Journal of Business and Management Invention. 5(9), 71-76.
21) Perera, P. Abeyseekra, N. and Samarainghe D(2016) Potential association of private university branding efforts with perceptions and attitudes of prospective students: A study in Sri Lanka, Revista Management & Marketing. 14(2), 164-179.
22) Kavisekera, S. and Abeysekera, N. (2016) Effect of social media marketing on brand equity of online companies ,Revista Management & Marketing. 14(2), 201-216
23) Ekanayake, S, and Abeysekera, N. (2016) Consumer engagement with social media, brand equity and intention to purchase, Sri Lanka Journal of Management. 21(1)
24) Matharaarachchi R,Abesyekera,N(2016),Factors influencing on online Impulse buying, Revista Tinerilor Economisti/The Young Economists Journal, 9(27),128-140
25) Abeysekera,N,Kobbekaduwa and Kaluachchi,I (2016),The style of Leadership and It’s impact on employee engagement, Management Issue,Department of Maangement Studies,1(1),37-41
26) Farook, S. and Abeysekera, N. (2016) Influence on social media marketing on customer engagement, International Journal of Business and Management Invention. 5(12), 115-125.
27) Fernando,P.M,Abeysekera, N. andSathgunalingam R(2017),The Impact of Social Media on Relationship Marketing ,With Special reference to ABC Company ,Zenith International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research ,Vol .7(2),17-26
28) Satgunaligam,R,Abesyekera,N and Fernando P.M,(2017)The Impact of customer orientation on relationship marketing, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research ,Vol .7(2),17-26
1. Abeysekera. N,and Jayakoy, J.A.S.K. (2009) Impact of transformational leadership behavior of salesperson of their customers relationship marketing behavior. [Sixth International Conference for Business Management] University of Sri Jayewawardenepura
2. Abeysekera, N. and Jayakody, J.A.S.K. (2009), Identifying the transformational leadership behavior of salesperson in the Sri Lankan Banking Sector. [The fourth International Research Conference on Management & Finance] University of Colombo.
3. Abeysekera, N. and Hewawasam, B, (2010) Relationship marketing: customer commitment and trust as a strategy for corporate banking sector in Sri Lanka, In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Business and Information, University of Kelaniya,
4. Hewawasam, B and Abeysekera, N, (2010.), Offsetting the green guilt or bargaining for cheapest: discourse of green consumption of develop and developing world customers, In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Business and Information, University of Kelaniya.
5. Abeysekera, N. and Samaraweera, C. (2010) Study of the consumer willingness to accept SMS advertising in Sri Lanka. International Conference , India, July.
6. Wickramasinghe, A. and Abeysekera, N. (2011) Transforming Nobody to Somebody: Do Transformational Leadership and Relationship Marketing Make a Difference for Sustainable Marketing. [Conference on Interdisciplinary Business Research] Thailand, June.
7. Abeysekera, N. and Balasooriya, H. (2012) Achieving better relationship marketing through better communication in library. [NILIS Symposium].
8. Ukwatte, J. and Abeyseekra, N. (2015) The impact of relationship marketing on brand equity with special reference to Cinnamon Red hotel in Sri Lanka. [8th International Research Conference of The General Sir John Kotelawala Defense University] Colombo, 27th, 28th August.
9. Yatawatte, C. and Abeysekera, N. (2015)The impact of cause related marketing (CRM) on brand awareness. [8th International Research Conference of The General Sir John Kotelawala Defense University] Colombo, 27th, 28th August.
10.Ukwatte, J. and Abeysekera, N. (2016) The impact of service quality on customer loyalty in Sri Lankan hotel sector (with special reference to ABC hotel in Sri Lanka). [9th International Research Conference of The General Sir John Kotelawala Defense University] Colombo, 8th, 9th September.
11.Fernando V,Samarainsghe D,Kurruppu G and Abeysekera, N(2017) , The Impact of Green Attributes on Customer Loyalty of Supermarket Outlets in Sri Lanka[ 3rd International Conference, MERCon 2017,] , University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
Peer Reviewed Conference publications(Abstracts and Extended Abstracts)
1.) Abeysekera, N. (2008) Impact of introduction of online learning to traditional learning in developing countries. [First International Conference of the new Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE)] Banff, Canada, April.
2.) Abeysekera, N. (2008) Study of woman participation in corporate banking activities in Sri Lanka. [First Annual Conference of Sociological Association of Sri Lanka] March.
3.) Abeysekera, N. (2008), Understanding the conflict between literacy rate and computer literacy rate in Sri Lanka. [First International symposium on contemporary social issues and development] Eastern University, November.
4.) Abeysekera, N. and Jayakody J.A.S.K. (2008) Identification of relationship marketing orientation of customers on their sales person in Sri Lankan corporate banking sector. [Vavuniya campus Annual Research Session] University of Vauniya, November.
5.) Abeysekera, N. (2009) Relationship between food culture and media. [Pandith G. P. Wickramarchchi Memorial Research Symposium] Gampaha Wickramarchchi Ayurveda Institute, University of Kelaniya, Yakkala, Sri Lanka.
6.) Abeysekera, N. (2009) Study of Generation Y-Impact of using mobile phones into their life style. [Second Annual Conference of Sociological Association of Sri Lanka].
7.) Abeysekera, N. (2009) Identifying the transformational leadership behavior of salesperson in Sri Lankan leasing industry. [Annual Academic Session] Faculty of Humanities and social sciences, Open University of Sri lanka,Nawala,Nugegoda.
8.) Abeysekera, N. (2009) Portrayal of women in tv advertisements in sri lanka: is it gender sensitive. [Annual Academic Session] Open University of Sri lanka,Nawala,Nugegoda.
9. ) Kumaradeepan, V. and Abeysekera, N. (2009) Impact of internal marketing strategy on customer satisfaction : a case study of peoples’ bank Vavuniya. [Vavuniya campus Annual Research Session] University of Vauniya, November.
10.) Vidanapathirana, U. and Abeysekera, N. (2010) An investigative study on business process re-engineering (BPR) to address operational problems at the Open university of Sri Lanka , [OUSL 30th Anniversary International Conference] August.
11.) Abeysekera, N. (2010) Relationship between marketing and Buddhism. [6th National conference of Buddhist Studies] December.
12.) Kumaradeepan, V. and Abeysekera N. (2010) Impact of relationship marketing on customer satisfaction. Eastern University of Sri Lanka, December.
13.) Abeysekera, N. and Kumaradeepan, V. (2010)Transformational leadership of salesperson for better customer relationship, Special reference to insurance market in Sri Lanka. [Annual Research Conference ,University of Jaffna] November.
14.) Abeysekera, N. (2011) A study on public awareness of open and distance learning (ODL), University of Kelaniya. [12th Annual Research Symposium], University of Kelaniya.
15.) Abeysekera, N. and Vidanapathirana, U. (2011) Critical assessment of the brand strategy of the OUSL: Unraveling the flaws, causes and issues. [Annual Academic Session] Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda.
16.) Abeysekera N. (2011) The study of idealized influence (charisma) of a salesperson in Sri Lankan banking sector.[Annual Academic Session] Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda.
17.) Ranasinghe, S. and Wickramasinghe, A. Abeysekera, N., (2012) Transformational leadership of a manager-is it gender sensitive. [Annual research Symposium] University of Colombo.
18.) Abeysekera, N., Sapukotanage, S. and Gamini L.P.S. (2012) Study of learner expectations: Case of registered students for the bachelor of management studies (BMS) degree programme. [Annual Academic Session] Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda.
19.) Abeysekera, N. and DeSilva, H. (2012) Influence of internet banking on customer satisfaction in the Sri Lankan context. [Annual Academic Session] Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda.
20.) Ali, S., Samarasinghe, D., and Abeysekera, N. (2015) Impact of social media on customer loyalty in the Sri Lankan hotel sector [Third International Conference in Marketing] Colombo, Sri Lanka, 17th18th February.
21.) Peiris, T., and Abeysekrea, N. (2015) Relationship between military leadership style and performance of soldiers in post war Sri Lanka. [Annual Research Symposium] Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo, Colombo, 25th October.
22.) Perera, J.R., Abesyekera, N. (2015) Model-based analysis of student satisfaction in open distance learning. [International Conference on Business and Information (ICBI 2015)] University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, November.
23.) Abeysekera, N., Samarasinghe, D. (2016) Customer orientation and gender. [Open University Research session-2106] Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda
1.Aligning Transformational Leadership , Customer Orientation and Relationship Marketing as Dynamic Capability
2.Measuring the mediating effect of customer trust -A case of the corporate banking sector in Sri Lanka
Supervision of Postgraduate & Undergraduate Students
Currently supervising two Ph.D. students and one student will be completed by end of 2017
Supervised and Supervising dissertations in MBA on Relationship Marketing, Leadership, Branding and Strategy
Supervised and supervising several undergraduate research projects on Relationship Marketing, Leadership, Integrated Marketing communication (IMC) strategy
Research Higher Degree Thesis Examination
PhD thesis external examiner, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
PhD thesis external examiner, Alagappa University , India
MPhil thesis examiner University of Ruhuma, Sri Lanka
MPHIL thesis examiner University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka
Master’s thesis external examiner, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka
Master’s thesis external examiner, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo Master’s thesis external examiner, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
Abeysekera,N and Ganewatta S (2014)She is mine: How to win the hearts of Chinese Tourists,ISBN-978-955-4645-07-,Shaakkya Publications.
Abeysekera,N and Ganewatta S.(2015), Tourism in Sri Lanka: The way forward, Shaakkya Publication,ISBN-978-955-4645-09-7
Abeysekera, N (2011),“Transformational Leadership-a Journey to better Customer Relationship”,2011, Lambert Publication ,Germany
Abeysekera,N(2013),”Sri Lanka Arthikayata Deesheeya Preweshayak (Localized approach for Sri Lankan Economy)”Sakkyaa Publication, Sri Lanka(ISBN -978-955-4645-03-5)
Abeysekera ,N(2016),”Kuda Wiyaparayata Kalamanakaranaya(Marketing for Small Business )”,Vidudodaya Publications ,Sri Lanka (ISBN 978-955-453042-3)
Other(Selected newspaper articles)
1) Abeysekera N , “Marketing 3.0 and Humane in Marketing”(pages 20-21).Marketing Cananda,Fall 2012,Volume 8,Issue 4)
2) Abeysekera N , “Wanted: Anthropologist for Business”, Post Graduate Institute Management, PIMA, Volume 4,Novemebr 2016
3) Abeysekera N “,VAT,Economy and Future(Vat Badhdha,Arthikaya saha Heta Dawasa)”,In Search, Magazine for Association of Accounting Technicians,2016,Voulune seven
4) Abeysekera N , “World University Rankings, Sri Lanka and University Lectures” -Asian Tribune(16.06.2011)
5) Abeysekera N , “Riots in U.K.: Demonstration of Social Unrest of Generation Y”- Financial Times(27.08.2011) http://www.ft.lk/article/45320/Riots-in-UK–Demonstration-of-social-unrest-of-Generation-Y
6) Abeysekera N , “Philip Kotler and Hinniappuhamy”- Financial Times(29.08.2011) http://www.ft.lk/article/45545/Philip-Kotler-and-Hinniappuhamy
7) Abeysekera N , “Sri Lankan Tourism, Numbers and Value -Financial Times(01.09.2011) http://www.ft.lk/2011/09/01/sri-lankan-tourism-numbers-and-value/
8) Abeysekera N , “I left my heart at Sigiriya”-Daily News(20.12.2011) http://archives.dailynews.lk/2011/12/20/fea05.asp
9) Abeysekera N , “Nuromarketing, Cocaine and Sports car”Financial Times(21.12.2011) http://www.ft.lk/article/61713/Neuromarketing–cocaine-and-sports-cars
10) Abeysekera N , “Why Does Sri Lanka Need More Tourists From China?Aisan Mirror (26.01.2015) http://asianmirror.lk/focus/item/6669-why-does-sri-lanka-need-more-tourists-from-china