The primary objective of the IRU is to enrich the academic, economic and cultural dimensions of OUSL staff and students by establishing international collaborations with individuals and institutions.
Internationalization in OUSL
Internationalization at OUSL is the creation and integration of pedagogies, research cultures and engagement practices that:
The objectives of the IRD are to
- develop OUSL staff, students and graduates as global citizens and learners
- prepare OUSL graduates for successful participation in transnational labour markets and the global economy
- contribute to the achievement of international standards in research and teaching
- secure opportunities for OUSL staff to develop as internationally acclaimed researchers and teachers
- facilitate the collective efforts to address global issues and achieve millennium development goals through the contribution in research, innovation, teaching and learning processes
- foster development of productive links between the regional and international communities
Engaging with the Global Community
At OUSL we take great pride in engaging with the wider community and offering our services to all. As such engagement at all levels is critical to what we do as an institute of higher learning.
Through such engagement we are able to:
- understand the needs of our clients and provide them with a fulfilling learning experience;
- enhance our research efforts and opportunities for groundbreaking advancements;
- prepare educated, engaged and forward-looking global citizens;
- bring enriching cultural and community experience that positively impact humankind;
- elevate community awareness of our educational, scientific and creative developments; and
- empower citizens to critically examine, publicly debate and come up with innovative solutions to broad ranging global issues.
What We Do – In A Nutshell
- International Student Recruitment
- Develop, establish and manage international agreements
- Provision of advice to OUSL senior management on international matters
- Engage with Governmental and Non-Governmental entities promoting OUSL’s international agenda
- Establish international student and academic exchange programs
- Manage incoming international visitors
- Promote the Universities consultancy and research services
- Promote and help the University identify opportunities for workshops, conference and seminars
- Pursue corporate partnerships
- Establish research partnerships
- Promote OUSL developed training and short courses internationally
- Develop all international marketing, communication and public relations activities and collateral
How We Are Structured
The IRD undertakes all its activities under the direct guidance of the Vice Chancellor.
The Unit is led by a Director who oversees all operational and policy aspects of the Unit.
The Director is supported by an Assistant Director and two Project Assistants who are responsible for all administrative support activities for the Unit.
Dr Prasad Senedheera
|Ms Chandi Perera
BSc Finance (Sp) USJP, CBA
How We Came About
Mr. Shenal Basnayake
Dr. Ishan Abeywardena
Snr. Prof. J.C.N. Rajendra
Dr. Thushara Priyadarshana
Dr. Nalin Wickramanayake
The IRU was established in October 2013 as the OUSL recognized that to increase the international standing, profile and impact of its academic offering and research, it had to build on existing relationships established by its staff and strengthen international alliances and partnerships to support collaboration and exchange with leading institutions. This vision also aligns with the Government of Sri Lanka’s (GOSL) position for strengthening the education sector of Sri Lanka through international collaboration.
The University aims to ensure that it has sufficient appropriate faculty and institution level agreements in place to meet the growing needs of Sri Lanka’s student population and that of the broader international community. With the growth of interest in Sri Lanka as a destination of choice, the University determined that it must capitalize on this fact and offer its services to the greater international community.
In support of these goals, the IRU provides expert advice and guidance to the University on the development of international relations strategies and the establishment of formal relationships and partnerships with universities and other entities around the world.